1923 Swiss engineer Alfred Maurer founded a small workshop in Milan to manufacture spinning pumps for the Viscose Industry. In short time business was extended to include the fabrication of Rayon and Transparent paper machines. During this period Paul Alfred Nikles was technical supervisor in several sugar plants in Angola, Madagascar and Switzerland.
1929 – 1935 Paul Alfred Nikles was asked by his sister (wife of Alfred Maurer) to temporarily take over the activities of Alfred Maurer as he suddenly got sick. When Alfred Maurer died in 1932, Paul Alfred Nikles definitively took over the activities of Ing. A. Maurer S.A. In 1935 he founded Ing. A. Maurer S.A. in Bern, Switzerland as a sister company.
1948 After world war II Ing. A. Maurer S.A. founded, together with a British engineer, Maurer India. The new enterprise oriented its activities from actual manufacturing of Viscose machine components into a design and plant engineering company for Viscose plants. Under the chairmanship of Paul Alfred Nikles, with rational management and the comprehensive professional knowledge of the staff, the company has reached international importance. Soon Ing. A. Maurer S.A. plants were installed in over 50 countries all over the world.
1980 Ing. A. Maurer S.A. Milano has been definitively closed.
2016 Maurer became part of the LIST Holding, a strategic partnership in the sector of machinery equipment for the fibre industry of man-made fibres. This ownership persists in our history of success as a result of highest quality, constant development and relationships with our customers that last over decades and generations. Nowadays Maurer is the sole asset of the LIST Holding.